Saturday, November 05, 2005

Things I haven't done today

but had planned on doing, and probably should've done.

Get dressed (which process includes showering).

Go to the library. Not that I'm a regular library-goer (the shame!), but having finally finished Don Quixote, I'm inspired to see this exhibit. Maybe tomorrow.

Buy a replacement black beret. Every year I buy one, and every year I lose it. Last year, I didn't lose it till the very tale end of the beret-wearing season, which was rather convenient, except for that now beret season is upon me and I'm unprepared.

Modify the kid's hat such that the ties are regulation length and not a potential tool of strangulation — they shall fasten by velcro instead, which I imagine is equally potentially lethal. No fastening at all and the hat would just fall off and be rendered useless.

Finish reading Peter Carey's My Life as a Fake, of which I'd managed to read only the opening pages a couple weeks ago on the métro, and the setting aside of which, in a concerted effort to finish DQ, genuinely disappointed me, and which has thoroughly engrossed me all day long. I'm loving it. What the heck am I doing sitting at the computer?

That's it. I've decided not to count making the bed, doing laundry, and all those other mundane household tasks. Also, I'm not counting rearranging even more furniture and sorting through boxes of crap, cuz that's an ongoing project.

Good thing I didn't set my ambitions too high this weekend. I have drunk 3 bottles of beer and the better half of a bottle of crappy red wine. And I'm eating salted peanuts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so envious! Sleeping in! Beer! Cheap red wine! Peanuts! And I like Peter Carey, at least what I've read, which is just Jack Maggs and Oscar and Lucinda. I have The History of the Kelly Gang, but haven't read it yet (along with all the other optimistically purchased books which I haven't quite yet gotten to.)And yes, I've been drinking tonight too. Hence the enthusiasm. But cheap cava, and the kids are in bed, but still here. And I'm rereading Neuromancer(William Gibson), which is a kick. I hope your weekend continues to be non productive and enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Well, I really should be reading Bleak House, but instead am engaged in Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys and Jane Smiley's Good Faith. Plus, I've been drinking Crown Royal and eating Pringles (at least they are Pringles Lite!!)

I only feel a tad guilty....

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi..Here from Michele's.
Did you move recently? Just wondering about the boxes of stuff...though, I haven't moved in a million years I've got some boxes of stuff lying around here, too! (lol)
Lovely to stop by!