Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Random weird things

About me. Because Martha wants to know. Personally, I don't think her random facts are weird at all, except for being able to write backwards with her non-dominant hand.

1. I hate talking on the phone. Hate it. To anybody, but especially for business with strangers.

2. I hate Disney, on principle, but I'm a bit of a hypocrite about it. When I learned I was pregnant it seemed like a good excuse to purchase a copy of The Aristocats. And Mary Poppins is a quality production. And I'm not too upset by the fact that we own Bambi. And I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Robin Hood ,or Alice in Wonderland. And I can't wait to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. But I will never, ever go to Disneyland or Disneyworld or EuroDisney or any other Disney theme park (unless the primary theme of that park is cryogenics).

3. As a small child (maybe 4) I used to bite my toenails. Because I could. Not to the point of ugly, but just to trim them. My mother even took me to the family doctor about this behaviour. I don't remember when or why I stopped.

4. I'm able to pour liquid measures of exactly a cup or a half cup without paying attention. If I'm off, I must be coming down with something.

5. I liked to collect odd travel mementoes — something of personal meaning to me, or something representative of the place that couldn't be reproduced for a gift shop. So I have a vial, a film cannister, of earth from Birkenau. It weirds me out just to think about it, but I'm afraid to get rid of it.

6. I don't know how to drive. But I don't have a phobia about getting behind the wheel. For years I never had the opportunity to learn, then for several years more I didn't feel the need. Now I'm just having trouble getting around to it.

7. I hate Joseph Conrad. And this is probably weird only to me, and only because it'd been suggested to me that I ought to like him by a high school teacher I respected.

8. I love fresh bedsheets. If it weren't me doing the laundering and changing, I'd insist on having fresh bedsheets every day.

9. Most people think I love coffee. I fix espresso-based beverages for myself every morning, and would probably die without them, but it's very rare that I find a cup of regular coffee tasty. Tea I drink only if there's lemon available, and I prefer it in a clear glass.

10. I love studying languages but hate speaking them (including the language I was raised in, and even English) for fear of making mistakes.

Weird enough for ya?

If you want to share your weirdnesses, consider yourself tagged.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we going to have to have a talk about Joseph Conrad? ;) Actually, it's probably weirder that I LIKE him, than that you don't.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Disney hater too. I recommend reading Henry Giroux' The Mouse That Roared. It will give you a new and even more disturbed perspective of Disney as a part and driver of consumerism.
Oh, and strangely enough, I also used to bite my toenails. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Suzanne said...

Fascinating, not weird. (Well, maybe except for the toenail thing.)

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Definitely random. And quirky. But I'd have to say the one I'd qualify as weird is #4. I'm with you on a horror of Disney theme parks and a somewhat lesser horror of most of the movies. Though I've done mural work for Disney(when I worked for a company! Not on my own!), and you know what? They're cheap!

Julie said...

I am extremely impressed by number four! I'm going to see if I can teach myself to do that.