Thursday, May 03, 2007

Defining the decades

The Book Marketing Society in association with The Guardian has launched a nationwide (UK) promotion to find the book that best defines the 20th century. The promotion features a review of 50 specially selected titles and editorial features on the "groundbreaking" books defining the various decades of the 20th Century.

Full list of titles.
You're welcome to vote.

Books that define their era, not describe it. (I admit I'm still stumbling over whether it defines or describes the 80s, but I think American Psycho should be on the list. I think.)

Guardian books blog discussion (in which it is noted that Patrick Hamilton's era-defining The Slaves of Solitude was overlooked).

5 comments:

Bybee said...

I'm stunned and happy that Richard Yates' novel gets attention in the UK. He hardly gets any at home. Revolutionary Road should've won that year, not "The Moviegoer".
Yates is portrayed comically in an episode of Seinfeld called "The Jacket". Larry David, the co-creator of the show, dated Yates' daughter for a few years.
I agree with you about American Psycho.

Cipriano said...

Very interesting blog, Ms. Octopus!
As I browsed the listing, I noted that [on the average] I read about one book listed, per decade. So... I am no expert on which book would clearly define the 20th Century best.
However, of these listed here, my feelings are with Orwell's, "1984."
-- Cip

Anonymous said...

I loved he Guardian Link...I'm all for the 50's.Waiting for Godot is really my favorite 'idea' of the last century. Thanks!

BlueRectangle Books

Anonymous said...

I've just received that Patrick Hamilton book through the post, Isabella. You have convinced me that it's a must-read!

Anonymous said...

Like the link. I read about one per decade.