Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pirate girl

It was February when she announced she wanted to be a pirate for Halloween, and every few weeks thereafter, she reminded me of the fact.

For the third year in a row, Helena showed up at daycare in "home-made" costume. I'm not averse to spending the money on a prepackaged ensemble, but we've yet to come across one that satisfies Helena's whims to her standards.

Pirate, fortunately, is a fairly straightforward costume to assemble. This year's pièce de resistance: parrot on shoulder.

Halloween has been, and undoubtedly will continue to be, one of the toughest days of the year for me as a mother. I continue to grapple with encouraging Helena's individuality, while fearing for the potential devastation of not fitting in.

Meanwhile, Helena has the distinction of being one of very few non-princess girls.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Go Helena! We went the purchased costume route, and my daughter was one of many princesses at school. It would have been nice to see a pirate in the mix.

Tim said...

I often think we should take the Halloween season with us throughout the year. But people at work look at me weird when I come dressed in costume.

Anonymous said...

The great thing about Halloween is that even the Pirate Girls fit in.

Really. Even amidst all those princesses.

; )

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos, by the way. She's got great spirit.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Have you and Helena read Pirate Girl by Cornelia Funke? We just read it last night and Devyn sat raptly throughout.

She is absolutely fascinated by the whole pirate thing. She got a pirate costume last Christmas; I should have suggested she wear it for Halloween!

Great costume!!