Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Potter digested

Courtesy of the Guardian:

Dumbledore appeared at the door. "I've come to take you to the Weasleys," he said kindly. "And when you return to Hogwarts, you will be having some one-to-one tuition with me. You have so much back story to catch up on that you won't be ready for your final adventure unless you do a lot of cramming."


I read the whole thing over the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said elsewhere. I liked it far better than the last two books. And I choose to believe Snape is on the side of good.

I love Harry Potter and I have no doubt he'll be loved generations from now, but I've always hesitated to call this series Good Writing. But after reading the above and various other adult discussions about this latest instalment, I have a much greater respect for the story's structure, the detail, the clues. Rowling could still use some editing though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul is about 3/4 of the way through HP&THBP. As I'm in the middle of two other books, I'm not feeling too impatient, but I am very much looking forward to reading it.

Suzanne said...

Keith read it last weekend and really enjoyed it though I think Azk. is his favourite, too.

As for me, I still have to finish reading O. of the P.