Friday, September 16, 2005

Book buying

For education!
I received an email some time ago asking me to help promote booksXYZ. It sounds like a worthwhile endeavour (though I was unable to establish how funds from purchases from Canadians are distributed).

From the press release:
booksXYZ.com, an innovative on-line bookstore sends all profits to education, and 5% of each purchase goes to the school of the customer’s choice. All 120,000 U.S. schools, public and private, kindergarten through college, are included on the website. booksXYZ currently lists over 1.4 million titles and adds more constantly.

booksXYZ is owned by The American Public School Endowments and its affiliate and founding entity, The Acadiana Educational Endowment; both are 501(c)3 non-profit organizations. The AEE was founded in 1989 and has distributed over $200,000 to public education.


Note that the organization is based in Louisiana; existing resources are aiding schools affected by Hurricane Katrina.

For fun!
Buy a Friend a Book! week, during which one is to buy a book for a friend for no good reason, is fast approaching:
Spread the word by blogging about your choice of book and book recipient. Look at me, you'll be saying to your site's visitors, I am the sort of person who buys gifts for my friends for no good reason. Befriend me! Love me! Read me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this idea. I'm already thinking about who will get the book, and what the book will be.

And I'm also hoping that someone will do the same for ME, dammit!!