Friday, April 16, 2010

I♥NYRB

The lovely, eclectic selection of books published by New York Review Books is meant to be read, of course, but the colours, the texture, the look, the feel lead me to believe NYRB books are designed to be fetishized.

 
Maylin of The Dewey Divas and the Dudes recently shared a little NYRB love with me (thanks for the ARCs!), so I thought I'd do my part to spread a little NYRB enthusiasm.

 
First off, check out Maylin's NYRB challenge, to read 50 NYRB Classics within the year. It's this series of posts that made me sit up and take notice of them and learn to focus my book-fetishizing tendencies.

 
Spotlight Series will be featuring NYRB Classics during the week of May 16, 2010, and you can sign up to participate by reviewing an NYRB Classic (maybe I will).

 
I haven't purposely embarked upon an NYRB challenge myself, but it seems I'm amassing quite a collection of them. I'll try not to let the acquisition too far exceed the consumption.

 
Here's a list of those I now own, with links to reviews where applicable:
Let me mention also a couple favourites, even though I don't own the NYRB editions (my reading predated their release):

And a couple more I'm dying to own:
The New York Review Children's Collection also has its charms:
The NYRB Classics blog: A Different Stripe.
And follow @nyrbclassics on Twitter.

 
Is there a particular NYRB title that you have your eye on? Or one that you especially recommend?

6 comments:

SFP said...

I definitely want the Jean Stafford! I've had her in the back of my mind for about 20 years now and I'll be pre-ordering The Mountain Lion just as soon as I get my next Amazon gift card.

I recently ordered The Invention of Morel--it should arrive next week.

I've an entire shelf of NYRBs. Guess I'll soon have the beginnings of a second shelf. I love them muchly.

Stefanie said...

I really want To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson and Education of a Gardener by Russell Page. The NYRBs are such pretty books!

claire said...

I've been coveting the three JG Farrells! I agree the NYRBs are wonderful, in all aspects.

Emily said...

I've just been discovering NYRB books over the past six months or so, but now there are several I'm coveting, including The Invention of Morel, Clandestine in Chile, and The Post-Office Girl. I do already own That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana, so maybe I can prioritize that for May.

Danielle said...

I love these, too. They are so nicely designed. At the moment (and by chance really) I am reading two NYRBs--The Go Between by L.P. Hartley and A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor--both excellent. I want the Olivia Manning trilogy that I already own, but still covet the NYRB edition. I had no idea there were so many things going on with their books. If you like Stefan Zweig, by the way, I highly recommend Beware of Pity (another of their titles)--it was one of my favorite books last year.

Richard said...

Isabella, I might have to steal your idea and do a post on this! Would that be OK? I think I have about 25-30 NYRB titles because I bought a bunch of them remaindered last year one weekend, and I can't stop buying the new releases either. Ones I crave: the new Tayeb Salih short story thing (The Wedding of Zein), Bioy Casares' The Invention of Morel (I have it in Spanish, but I want the one with Louise Brooks on the cover!), and just about every other one I don't already own. I think the artwork is mostly great, but occasionally they come out with a cover that looks like bad clip art from the '70s and '80s. Stefan Zweig's Chess Story, I'm talking about you!