Monday, August 20, 2012


Recently acquired: Roadside Picnic, by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

  1. Alleged by many to be the best Russian sci-fi ever.
  2. The basis of Tarkovsky's Stalker, by which swear several film enthusiasts I know.
  3. Two words: The. Zone.
  4. Abounding with alien artefacts.
  5. New translation.
  6. Foreword by Ursula K Leguin.
Have you read it? Or seen Stalker? Maybe you've played the video game? Is it everything they say it is?


Stefanie said...

Call me interested! Have you started reading it yet?

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

I've read it, just recently. I might write about it soon.

But I can't answer the last question. What do they say it is?

Isabella Kratynski said...

No, Stefanie, I have not started it yet, but plan to get to it in a couple weeks.

"They" are calling it, in sum, a "classic," but from what I can tell, not many people (even sci-fi-loving Russians) -- and I mean regular people, not critics, or book-obsessed bloggers -- seem to have read it.

I do hope you write about it, Tom.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

All right, done! As usual, my focus is a little narrow. Please come over some time and tell people what I missed, or if I make a lick of sense.