Friday, September 23, 2011

Out of print

I'm not what you'd call an impulse shopper. I've wanted one of these t-shirts forever, but which one? It had to be a design I liked and a book I loved. Something that expressed something about me. Finally, a day came when I felt I deserved a little something, and about a year and a half after first hearing about these tees, I decided. The Master and Margarita.

The shirt is thin, but it's a good-quality print, and the cut and the feel make for a remarkably comfortable fit. I love it.

(I'm fairly certain now that I want to dress my daughter in Darwin's Origin of Species, but I'll have to think on this for another month or two.)

And, for every purchase, a book is donated to a community in need.

I did in fact read The Master and Margarita (by Mikhail Bulgakov), but it must've been a lifetime ago. I remember Pontius Pilate and the politics of the crucifixion, and something about a cat, bearing some resemblance to my actual cat, but little else. I've been wanting to reread this for several years now, and now I'm really going to have to, so as not to appear a fraud.

An e-version of the translation by Richard Pevear is widely available under a creative commons license.

3 comments:

Aldrin said...

I love Out of Print. Not so long ago I bought the tee with the classic first edition cover of The Catcher in the Rye, which is a favorite book of mine, obviously, as The Master and Margarita is a favorite of yours.

Stefanie said...

Cool shirt! I can see why it was so hard to decide. And thanks for the link to the pdf of the Pevar translation.

Cipriano said...

Wow, that is TERRIFIC -- I clicked on the "Men's T-shirts" thing and now I want the Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451 shirt.
Thank you for this link!