Monday, September 05, 2011

RIP VI

It's been a few years since I followed along with Carl's annual autumnal Halloween-mood-based challenge, Readers Imbibing Peril (RIP). The goal is to celebrate books that might be classified in the following genres: Mystery. Suspense. Thriller. Dark fantasy. Gothic. Horror. Supernatural.

I'm pretty noncommittal with respect to reading goals, but sometimes it just feels right.

Having just come off 5000 pages of political romance, I'm looking to switch gears and clear my way through some of the books that inadvertently got set aside. As it happens, a number of them fit the above-mentioned categories.

A Trick of the Light, Louise Penny. Mystery (of the cozy variety). I was drawn to this book by the Montreal backdrop.

The Train, Simenon. Psychological suspense. Because I think Simenon's amazing.

The End of the World in Breslau, Marek Krajewski. Noir mystery thriller. I read the first of this series a few months ago and was struck by the unique setting — 1930s Nazi-run Wrocław.

Eyes to See. Joseph Nassise. Creepy supernatural suspense horror thriller. This one's a review copy. Heck, I'll give anything a try. And the cover looks pretty demonic.

And this might be the year I pick up Shirley Jackson's classic, The Haunting of Hill House.

6 comments:

Richard said...

Will look forward to your choices, Isabella--I also have a Simenon in the mix (my first, I think), though I neglected to mention it in my sign-up post. Happy spooky reading and all that!

Kailana said...

I want to read The Haunting of Hill House at some point. Enjoy your books!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Wow, have not heard of any of these, all of which sound great. I do so hope you do reviews and post the links as I am very curious about all of them.

Thanks for coming back this year and taking part. I hope it fits the bill for you and that you enjoy yourself.

Isabella K said...

Richard: I hope you find Simenon as intriguing as I do, even if he's not the smoothest of prose stylists.

Kailana: I hear it's one of the greats. Happy reading with your choices!

Carl: Thanks for your continued inspiration. I think that's the best part about this kind of challenge -- discovering cool books I've never heard of that everyone else is reading. I'm off to a good start -- almost finished my first book and loving it.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad to hear it, look forward to your review.

Stefanie said...

Haunting of Hill House is awesome. You will not be disappointed if you decide to read it!