Monday, February 20, 2006

Can you smell the excitement?

Perfume!

Am I the last to know? Why have I not heard about this? How come nobody told me?

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, by Patick Suskind, is being adapted to film! And with Alan Rickman! Coming to a theatre near me in September!

Trailer! (via a German fan site)

I read this book in 1995 when I was vacationing in Provence. Which was really the best place to read it. The visceral punch of it amid the lull of lavender. Absolutely horrifying! (Come to think of it, I haven't travelled alone since.)

So who borrowed it from me and failed to return it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it wasn't me. But I checked out the book on Amazon, and WOW! what a fabulous cover! It's on my wishlist now.

And Alan Rickman? Always been one of my faves. He can be so charming and such a devilish cad, too. Have you ever seen him in Truly, Madly, Deeply? I must see that film again.

That Girl Who Blogs Stuff said...

It's news to me too.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Oooooo! I love Alan Rickman. I read Perfume way back when-- I think it may even have been in the late eighties, but I remember enjoying it and finding it really creepy. Did it have a dwarf(apologies if that's not the accepted term anymore), or am I confusing it with something else?

Cipriano said...

This reminds me of a really sobering movie I saw recently.
It was called Cologne: Wear It or Drink It, The Story of a Fragrant Alcoholic, starring I.P. Givenchy.

[I really need the name of a good therapist... seriously...]

Isabella K said...

Patricia: The cover of my copy was a little tacky. Loved Truly, Madly, Deeply.

Martha: I don't remember too much about it beyond the intense creepiness either. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a dwarf.

Cipriano: See a therapist.

Anonymous said...

Isabella that's the same copy I have too. And, yes, I had heard about this. I do think Alan Rickman is fabulous but I'm not too happy to hear the news. As usual, just afraid the studios will muck up a great book but we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Oy. That's one icky cover, Isabella. I bought the paperback version with the more attractive cover today, after my dentist appt., as a treat for myself not having any cavities!