Wednesday, January 12, 2005

To-do

I've been working like a dog. My mind is elswehere, and my heart isn't in anything.

(Did you know? Octopuses have 3 hearts.)

Things I've neglected to do lately, in no particular order, and should do today (or tomorrow — soon, anyway):

1. Have coffee, blog some (by way of this list), centre myself. Maybe I'll even smoke a cigarette.
2. Write up some invoices.
3. Apply for a real job. (Though imaginary will do if the hours are steady and the pay's alright.)
4. Clear up some bills.
5. Buy some groceries so that Helena has more to eat than applesauce and yogourt. Like she cares.
6. Sleep (just a little).
7. Teach (train?) Helena to NOT repeatedly plug and unplug the Christmas tree lights.
8. Undress and dispose of the the Christmas tree. (Undress the tree.)
9. Find a copy of Don Quixote so that I can take part in the discussion.
10. Get me some Dickens, cuz I promised myself I would.
11. Buy some expensive hair products.
12. Replace the black beret I lost.
13. Watch Helena's Blue's Clues DVD, with or without her, so I can see how these episodes end. Better without, in fact.
14. Read.

Two weeks into January, and not a single book!

My copy of this book arrived just before Christmas, and I'm dying to crack it so I can tell the world how clever Rachel is (well, she's clever regardless).

Meanwhile, Iain Pears' The Dream of Scipio stares at me accusingly. The 72 pages I have read, numerous times and in varying order, have been rather thought-provoking, commenting to me on my affect on the world.

15. Clean the kitty litter.

5 comments:

Ann D said...

I love reading other people's to do lists (perhaps because it allows me to put off dealing with my own). Thanks for posting yours!

Ann D
The Mother of All Blogs
http://anndouglas.blogspot.com

Mental multivitamin said...

Don't find just any copy of DQ -- invest in the Edith Grossman translation. Good stuff.

We're Dickens fans, too. Pickwick Papers is on this year's family book club list.

Skip the expensive hair products. Suave works just as well, in the end, and it's ever so much cheaper. Use the money you save for the Grossman translation of DQ. (*wink*) (I wrote about this here: http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2004/12/stream-of-consciousness.html.)

I found your blog via the BoB awards. Thank you for linking to M-mv.

Best regards... and good luck with your to-do list. I'm off to brew a third (yes, third) pot of coffee. It's a small pot. Okay. I drink a lot of coffee. I'm compensating. It's been almost two weeks since I've imbibed Dew. Coffee helps fill the void.

MFS of M-mv

Anonymous said...

Not clever enough to keep from getting sick every other week, alas...

--rachel

Janet said...

I did not know octopuses had 3 hearts. Come to think of it, I don't know much about octopuses at all. How did you end up so "entangled" in them?

JustaDog said...

Noway in the world would I forget to drink my dose of java. Neat site!

http://wheresyourbrain.blogspot.com/