Monday, March 21, 2005

Book stick

Passed to me by scribblingwoman:

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Oh yes. Larry, in Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. I was only 16, and he was so worldly and wise, even if everyone dismissed him as a loafer. Nobody understood him like I did. Sigh.
And the Three Musketeers. Well, mostly D'Artagnan. But, really, any musketeer would do in a pinch. I'm a sucker for a man in uniform. If it has a cape and a plumed hat.

The last book you bought:
Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde, because I can't pass them up at $6.99.

The last book you read:
The last book I finished: Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde. The last book I read, though I only squeezed in a couple pages today: Iain Pears' The Dream of Scipio, which I've been reading, and enjoying, for months.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
(No anthologies for me. I am not a cheater. Given enough advance warning I'd publish my own anthology of favourite works — I wouldn't need five books, just that one.)
1. Ulysses, James Joyce. Because I've been trying for almost 20 years.
2. Remembrance of Things Past, or whatever they're calling it these days, Marcel Proust. Yes, all the volumes. Because I've been trying for about 10 years.
I need some peace and quiet, dammit!
3. Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes. Although I'm nearing the halfway mark, I suspect I could read it a few more times and still get something new on each reading. I reserve the right to substitute another book for this one in the event I finish it and am disappointed, before being shipped off to said island.
4. Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco. Because I've always meant to REread it, giving the footnotes their due. And it will keep me paranoid. A valuable quality on a deserted island.
5. Diary, Witold Gombrowicz, in 3 volumes, and, depending how long I was to be on this island, I might bring it in Polish, just to keep things interesting.
(Hah! No Shakespeare! Man, will I get bored fast.)

Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
I will pass it to Rachel, because her relationship with books runs deeper than she generally lets on, even though she probably won't do it, cuz I don't think she does memes, but then neither do I...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ACCEPT!

Although it may take me a day ot two to get my act together and do it -- my husband comes home today, and my sister comes into town tomorrow...

--R