Sunday, September 30, 2012

3 nonbook but bookish things

(Or, a birthday wishlist.)

For my legs: Love text, tights by Zohara.

For my walls: 100 book covers to fight illiteracy.

100 artists from 28 countries designed a poster-sized cover for a book from The Observer's "The 100 Greatest Novels of All Times." (Set aside the anglocentricity of the list and any debate over which great novels were overloooked.) Many striking designs arose from the challenge, but I find many of the artist explanations weak.

Some concepts I admire: Nostromo, Charlotte's Web, If on a Winter's Night a Traveller. But the one I can picture on my wall is the one pictured here.

For each poster sold, 5 euro is donated to UNESCO projects fighting illiteracy in Africa.

For my laptop: Typewriter sleeve.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

All fun but I especially love those tights!

claire said...

My goodness, wow! Love those posters. Didn't look at the reasons behind yet, but briefly scanning them I picked the one you picked as well, if I did put one on my wall. So many others I loved but they feel very poster-y, if you know what I mean, and not enough of being painterly, which I find goes better with my home. I would totally be tempted if they were actual book covers, though.