Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Tis the season

The cold
I sent Helena to daycare this morning even though she's still coughing, but just a bit, because I knew I wouldn't be any good to her today. Surprise! — now I have a really bad cold and I feel shitty. I should be climbing back into bed, but I suspect I'll just sit here alternately rambling and staring into the void for a couple hours.

I really enjoy Play-Doh. If I could get a job playing with Play-Doh all day, I'd be in heaven. Sometimes I don't wash my hands after playing with it so that the smell can linger with me a while longer.

A movie
We don't watch many video cassettes any more. We've finally replaced our copy of The Big Lebowski with a DVD, so that leaves the VCR for the almost exclusive viewing of a couple children's videos, namely Charlotte's Web and Fantasia. Every time I insert a video it's a leap of faith that the machine will eject it (in fact, it only does so if the tape plays to the end and auto-rewinds; button pushing is fruitless).

Helena was rummaging through the "media" drawer and found a copy of The Nutcracker Prince.

It's a sweet little animated film based on E.T.A. Hoffman's story of "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" and featuring the voice talents of Megan Follows and Kiefer Sutherland. Also, you'll see my name in the credits.

The summer I should've been more ambitious I opted instead to work long, grave-shift hours at the animation studio to paint cels. Paint by number, essentially. Weird job, really, but a lot of fun. My little window onto animation art and industry.

I've always had a fondness for this film, but watching it with Helena I'm coming to really like it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You painted cels for an animated movie???? How cool is that?! Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun job. Of course I could never do it because I doubt I could stay in the lines.
Hope you're feeling better.

Julie said...

Play-Doh....ahhhhh! Though actually my dreamiest dream job would be Legos.