Monday, December 22, 2003

Baby dolls

I see them both now. I just can't let it go.

Helena got dolls for her birthday from both her grandmothers.

My mother sent her a sweet little musical thing. The doll from my mother-in-law, on the other hand, continues to give me the creeps.

I'm kicking myself for not having saved the tag, though I'm fairly certain it offered little information other than to identify her as Lazy Baby featuring a beanbag body. I wish I could link to a picture of her, because truly this is the ugliest doll ever.

She has a squat, misshapen head, with narrowset eyes. They blink an unnatural blue behind a coarse brush of lashes. The pinched face closes in on a removable pacifier (a habit Helena never developed a liking for).

She's an Edward Gorey baby. But not even his Gashlycrumb Tinies depict this doll's ghastliness. Well maybe Xerxes and Kate, but with a glint of evil.

I never much cared for dolls. Helena doesn't seem to much either.

No comments: