Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Merry Christmas!

J-F's taken Helena into the office with him this morning. It's still officially a workday, but the atmosphere is casual and festive.

When they return, we pack up the car and drive. I expect we'll be there well before midnight, but I also expect my mom will be a little miffed that we're late for the traditional supper.

Just my mom and my sister will be there. A quiet holiday. But I hope a happy one. For my mom, I mean. I'm happy. There's no doubt Helena is full of cheer. And J-F — the next few days won't be easy for him, but I know he's happy to do it.

The New Yorker has posted A Visit from Saint Nicholas (In the Ernest Hemingway Manner) by James Thurber (December 24, 1927):

“We have visions of sugarplums,” the children said.

“Go to sleep,” said mamma.

“We can’t sleep,” said the children. They stopped talking, but I could hear them moving. They made sounds.

“Can you sleep?” asked the children.

“No,” I said.

“You ought to sleep.”

“I know. I ought to sleep.”

“Can we have some sugarplums?”

“You can’t have any sugarplums,” said mamma.

“We just asked you.”

No comments: